Burlington County, New Jersey Genealogy
Burlington County, New Jersey ancestry and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy information to help you you locate your Burlington Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by building a Free Family Tree.
Burlington County was established on 1694 as one of two original counties created in West Jersey. The county was named for the old ancient name for an inland market near Bridlington, England .
The Burlington County Seat is located in Mount Holly Township plus the county government website is co.burlington.nj.us/
Locales surrounding Burlington County are Mercer County (north), Monmouth County (northeast), Ocean County (east), Atlantic County (south), Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania (west), Camden County (west), Bucks County, Pennsylvania (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Burlington County are made up of Beverly, Bordentown, Burlington. Communities include Browns Mills, Chatsworth, Country Lake Estates, Crosswicks, Florence-Roebling, Fort Dix, Jobstown, Leisuretowne, Marlton, McGuire Air Force Base, Moorestown-Lenola, |New Gretna, Pemberton Heights, Presidential Lakes Estates, Ramblewood, Vincentown.
Townships include Bass River, Bordentown, Burlington, Chesterfield, Cinnaminson, Delanco, Delran, Eastampton, Edgewater Park, Evesham, Florence, Hainesport, Lumberton, Mansfield, Maple Shade, Medford, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Mount Laurel, New Hanover, North Hanover, Pemberton, Riverside, Shamong, Southampton, Springfield, Tabernacle, Washington, Westampton, Willingboro, Woodland. Boroughs include Fieldsboro, Medford Lakes, Palmyra, Pemberton, Riverton, Wrightstown.
Burlington County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1790, 1800 (missing), 1810 (missing), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Burlington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burlington Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Burlington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research.
Burlington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Burlington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also New Jersey Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Burlington County Historical Society, 451 High Street, Burlington City, NJ, 08016-4514; (609) 386-4773
- Burlington County Genealogy Club, P.O. Box 2449, R.D. #2, Mt. Holly
- Burlington County Historian
- Bordentown Historical Society, 211 Crosswicks Road, Bordentown
- Evesham Historical Society, 10 Madison Ct., Marlton NJ 08053 ; 856-983-3139
- Florence Historical Society, 35 West Fifth Street, Florence 08518; 609-499-2405
- Medford Historical Society, 275 Church Road, Medford, NJ 08055; (609) 654-7767
- Moorestown, Historical Society, 2 High Street, P.O. Box 477, Moorestown, NJ 08057; Phone (856): 235-0353
- Mt. Holly Historical Society, Park Dr., Mt. Holly; Phone (609): 267-2773
- Oliver Cromwell Black History Society, 348 High Street, Burlington NJ
- Southampton Historical Society, 17 Mill Road Shamong, NJ 08088; (609) 859-9237
- Southampton Historical Society, 17 Mill Road Shamong, NJ 08088; (609) 859-9237
- Burlington County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Burlington County
- Burlington County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Burlington County
- USGenWeb Archives for Burlington County (usgwarchives.net)
Burlington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the advantages of Burlington County court, probate, and land records data as a source of genealogy and family history information. Hidden away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are often the dreams and worries of the many New Jersey citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least some elements of their lives in the Burlington County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her showing up in court records.
You should call the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of employees will help individuals in finding the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the basic research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Burlington county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Courts were established in 1681.
- Burlington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 49 Rancocas Road, Mount Holly, NJ 08060
- Burlington County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Phone: 609-265-5122
- Land Records: 1766 mortgages /1785 deeds
- Marriage Records: 1694
- Burlington County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Phone: 609-265-5005
- Probate Records: 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records
- Burlington County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies ofBirth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
New Jersey Historical Records
- Databases include New Jersey Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; New Jersey Birth, Marriage & Death Records; New Jersey Voter Lists & Census Records; New Jersey Immigration & Emigration Records; New Jersey Obituary Records; New Jersey Military Records; New Jersey Family Tree Records; New Jersey Pictures; New Jersey Stories, Memories & Histories; New Jersey Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Burlington County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Burlington County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is merely a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most popular Burlington County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Burlington Co. NJ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Burlington Co. NJ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Burlington Co. NJ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- See Also New Jersey Court, Land, Tax & Probate Records
- Order County Court, Civil or Criminal Records Online
- Abstracts of Partitions and Divisions of the New Jersey Counties of Monmouth, Mercer, and Burlington (search.ancestry.com)
- The Burlington court book : a record of Quaker jurisprudence in West New Jersey, 1680-1709 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817 (search.ancestry.com)
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703 (search.ancestry.com)
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782 (search.ancestry.com)
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Burlington Co. NJ Census Records
Burlington Co. NJ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Burlington Co. NJ Church & Bible Records
Burlington Co. NJ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Burlington Co. NJ General and History Websites
Burlington Co. NJ Immigration & Naturalization
Burlington Co. NJ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Burlington Co. NJ Military Records
Burlington Co. NJ Schools & Directories